The Parish Council raises money for its activities through a tax, called the "precept" which is collected from the Parish residents by the District Council as an addition to the District and County Council tax.
The Parish Clerk receives a salary but Councillors receive no payment or allowances.
Grants Policy & Procedure
The Parish Council awards grants to organisations within the Parish. Unfortunately we can no longer provide grants to individuals due to changes in legislation but we can help find other sources or point you in the right direction. Our current policy is that we award one round of funding each year, paid at the beginning of each financial year in April/May. Grant applications must be received between Sept 1st and Oct 31st for consideration by the Finance Committee at its November/December meeting when it sets the precept for the coming year. This year the Parish Council set aside a sum of £1,100 for grant funding. The average grant is in the region of £200.00.
Organisations who wish to be considered for a grant must provide evidence of 'self-help'. In other words we will not provide money to an organisation that does not generate its own funds as well, for example through a membership fee or other fund raising activities. Further, an organisation based inside the Parish that has a large number of members who live outside the Parish may not be considered as high a priority as an organisation whose members are wholly within the Parish.
Here are some key rules
- Grant aid will not be awarded to any organisation automatically; each organisation must make a separate application each year.
- Applications will not be considered without a completed application form and up to date accounts.
- The Council will expect each applicant to justify the grant aid which is being sought and such justification must include details of what the money is to be spent on and the financial case. The latter may be evident from the accounts submitted but applicants should be aware that large balances and/or donations to other bodies must be fully explained.
- All applications must be received by October 31st in each year for consideration by the Finance Committee at it's Finance meeting held in November/December.
- Grants will be paid shortly after the start of the following Financial Year.
- Grants are not normally made to organisations located outside the Parish of Davenham.
Application forms can be downloaded here: